This past week, on March 24 2016, My co-host Jason Himmelstein and I had the privilege of hosting Kay Unkroth and Gregory Appel from Microsoft on our monthly BI Focal web show. Kay and Gregory are both Senior Product Managers at Microsoft. Kay is responsible for both the PowerPivot for SharePoint and SQL Server Reporting Services service applications, and Gregory is responsible for Excel Online in Office Online Server (or as we’ve come to affectionately call it, Excel Online On-prem). We titled the show SELECT From On-Prem WHERE version=’2016′. The recent release of SharePoint 2016 RTM, and the imminent release of Office Online Server and SQL Server 2016 make this topic particularly relevant.
What transpired was a frank, hour long (almost) discussion on the current state of the On-premises BI story from Microsoft. We discussed a number of burning topics such as
- The implications for the deprecation of Excel Services
- The new focus on SSRS as a BI platform
- How SharePoint fits in to the new Microsoft BI vision
- The status of PerformancePoint and Visio Services
- Where Power BI fits into the on-prem picture
- The upgrade story for 2016 BI, and version dependencies
I had a great time participating in this discussion, which was jam packed with great information. The recording of it is now available from IT Unity, or below.
As always, Jason and I would like to thank IT Unity for all of the logistical information for the show, and our guests who graciously donated their time.